Exploring the science and diversity of language! 🗣️
Get the latest posts delivered to your inbox!
Recent Recommendations 📚
The dawn of language: Axes, lies, midwifery, and how we came to talk (Johansson 2021)
Book Lists 📚
Let’s connect! 🌐
Follow Linguistic Discovery on your favorite social media platform for a daily linguistic adventure!
Latest Posts 📖
- Book List: The Linguistics Starter PackCurious about linguistics but not sure where you can learn more? The Linguistics Starter Pack is for you! This is a curated list of my top recommendations for getting started in linguistics. Most of the items on this list are popular science books, aimed at a general audience, and written in a non-technical way. I’ve also included a few highly accessible introductory textbooks if you’re looking for something more structured instead. Note: The links on this page are Amazon affiliate links, which means I get a small commission from any book you buy through these links (at no additional cost … Read more
- Language and thought: Talking about directionsI love the movie Arrival but it perpetuates one of the biggest myths in linguistics: that language influences how we think about time.
- Book List: Animal Communication & CognitionA curated list of books about animal communication and cognition.
- Can animals talk to their owners with buttons?Many animals on TikTok are using audio buttons to communicate with their owners! But is this language?
- Numbers are hardIf Old English shows vestiges of a base-12 counting system, then when did “hundred” mean 120 instead of 144?
- Grammaticalization in Somali and the development of morphological tone (Kaldhol & Stausland Johnsen)How do tones come to be used to mark grammatical features in a language? Here’s how it happened in Somali.
- Review: Speaking American: How y’all, youse, and you guys talk (Josh Katz, 2020)Review of the book “Speaking American: How y’all, youse, and you guys talk” (Josh Katz, 2020).